Week 6 Discussion

This week’s reading was definitely the hardest to comprehend out of all the readings we have done thus far, I found myself re-reading sentence after sentence just to understand what the author was talking about it was quite frustrating and disheartening. Some sentences was easier to understand than others. Of course I did some googling and found some translations, which helped but still left me scratching my head. However with the translation I was able to appreciate the beautiful imagery in the first lines of the “General Prologue” which stood out to me the most. I also enjoyed the “The Wife’s tale” though difficult when translated it was a great read because it was a different portrayal of a woman we have seen thus far.
In the beginning of the “General Prologue” Chaucer goes into detail about the season and provides very serene like words to describe the season, for example in line 6-7 the text says “Inspired hath in every holt and heeth, The tender croppes and the yonge sonne” which to make it simpler the lines translate to “In every wood and field has breathed life into, the tender new leaves, and the young sun.” It’s interesting because with these words a reader can definitely suspect a romantic undertone, but then it is revealed that the author along with others is traveling to Canterbury for a pilgrimage, which is a “religious journey” according to dictionary.com; The very first person the author describes is a Knight and I do believe he described the Knight first because of social standing after all in the middle ages Knights were held to very high esteem, even in his very first few words about the Knight Chaucer praises him almost immediately in his introduction he states in line 43 “A Knyght ther was, and that a worthy man” and in line 47 “Ful worthy was in his lords werre” it’s also significant to note that the author choose to introduce the Knights son right after.
In the “The Wife’s bath tale” there is a definite switch of gender roles, the narrator who is a woman pretty much unapologetically recounts her life, which is indeed feminist this is definitely bold for an author to write during that time, I think Chaucer wanted to present a different perspective I mean this woman almost brags about have FIVE HUSBANDS!!