Answer one question from each topic.
- Did you enjoy the readings?
- Which and what was your favorite reading and why?
- What were your general impressions while reading the readings?
Paradise Lost Book 1
- What are some similarities we see in Milton’s Paradise Lost to Beowulf, “Dr. Faustus”, and Utopia?
- Why the story of the “Fallen”?
- How well does Milton justify the ways of God?
Paradise Lost Book 9
- What do you believe Milton was trying to achieve by creating a “voice” for the serpent and Eve? Who does not have one in the Bible?
- How does the serpent tempt Eve into eating the forbidden fruit in Garden of Eden? What was the reason behind this?
Eve’s Apology in Defense of Women
- What is the general argument behind “Eve’s Apology in Defense of Women” and why do you think this is?
- Why does Lanyer seem to put the blame on men?
- How does power come into play in “Eve’s Apology in Defense of Women”?
- How does the fall of man connect to both “Eve’s Apology in Defense to Women” and Paradise Lost?
- What are the reading’s attitudes to religion?