Week 16 Discussion

My favorite reading out of the three was “Eve’s Apology in Defense of Women”. It was my favorite because I found Lanyer’s reasoning for Eve not to be held accountable amusing, in a good way. I can only imagine the backlash it received, which made me like it more because it is a bit edgy. In a way, the story questioned men and their god complexes.

In Book 1 of Paradise Lost by John Milton, the narrator decides to include the story of the “Fallen” because they want to show that the fall of humankind into sin and death was all a part of God’s plan. The story demonstrated Satan and his followers fighting against God and escaping from their chains, however they were only able to do so because God allowed them tho. God allows them to do this because he intends to turn their evil deeds into good, hence the fall of humankind being part of God’s plan for a greater good.

In Book 9 of Paradise Lost the serpent tempts Eve into eating the forbidden fruit by first flattering and complimenting her. Eve does not immediately fall for this, but he then tells her that God actually wants her and Adam to eat from the tree because it will show their independence. Eve is already softened by the serpent’s flattery, and it makes her more open to the idea, then she eventually eats it. The reason behind Satan’s trickery is because he is jealous that Adam and Eve get to live in Paradise. He thinks the earth is beautiful and is tortured by this, he wants to live in Paradise.

In “Eve’s Apology in Defense of Women” by Amelia Lanyer, power comes into play when the narrator says that Adam should not be excused for his part in committing the first sin. The narrator feels like because Adam holds more power than Eve, being that he is lord and has power over land and sea, he should be held more accountable as the one with more responsibility and the one in charge. The narrator also makes the point that even though Adam has power over land and sea, “with one apple won to lose that breath,” (46).

Paradise Lost seems to have a loyal relationship with religion, while “Eve’s Apology” seems to have more of a sarcastic one.