Week 16- Paris Matthews

I was not exactly fond of any of this week’s readings, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be “Eve’s Apology in Defence of Women,” because was the shortest. My first impressions while reading this poem was that the speaker, Pontius Pilate’s wife, was obsessed with the idea of sin and putting the majority of the blame squarely on Adam’s shoulders for the sins of the world. I kept thinking that it does not matter who fault it is because they were both responsible and made a conscious decision to eat fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The general argument behind “Eve’s Apology in Defense of Women,” is that Eve was a good person who was tricked by a serpent and could not possibly have foreseen that Adam, herself, and their offspring would die because of the decision to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I personally think her argument is weak, because in Genesis it is abundantly clear that they knew the consequences of their actions. I think she made this argument because people have misused the story of Adam and Eve to vilify and subjugate women.